NSW State Junior Academy
NSW STATE ACADEMY TALENT AND DEVELOPMENT SQUAD 2017 INFORMATION
2017 PLAYER PERFORMANCE PATHWAY
Athletes wishing to become a member of the Squash NSW Junior Academy and Squash NSW Performance Pathways should complete the attached Members Application. The academy is open to all Squash NSW Junior players in 2017.
Athletes need to join the Squash NSW Junior Academy 2017 if you wish to be considered for any representative positions including:
- NSW State Junior Representative Team
- NSW Travelling Squad
- Australian Representative Age Groups and Teams
2017 offers a number of key initiatives in NSW which are being implemented across regions, so that all players have the opportunity to participate in development programs that will be delivered by the state coaching panel and regional coaches.
Some key benefits include:
- Regional State Academy Camps, access to Talent Development and Club Development coaching personnel. (Refer to the State Calendar of Events 2017 for locations)
- Structured Training Program overseen by State Head Coach and feedback.
- Reduce travelling and accommodation costs to regional members
- Opportunity to raise the sports profile in country regions
- Key identification of potential athletes seeking a squash career.
- Eligibility to represent NSW at the Australian Age Championships
- Academy Camps will be conducted as per the NSW State Calendar commencing 25 February 2017, with a special invitation to all NSW juniors to register and come along for a great weekend of activities at the home of Squash in NSW, Thornleigh Squash Centre.
- Academy Members must attend at least one Academy Camp under the control of the State Head Coach prior to the State Junior Championships in July 2017.
There will be Academy Camps conducted in three regions prior to the State Championships in July.
Members need to attend at least two of the Academy Camps and meet all Selection Criteria if they wish to be considered for the State Representative Teams, which are selected after the State Age Championships to be held on 14-16 July 2017 at Thornleigh.
Athletes will then be required to attend one of the Academy Camps in July, August or September if chosen in the State Team for the AJC which will be held in Geelong, Victoria.
NSW Academy Members not chosen in the State Team will continue to have access to additional camps in regions in the later part of 2017, (See Tournament Calendar) for further skills development and preparations for the following year, 2018.
CHANGES MOVING FORWARD include:
- Academy Development Camps conducted in four (4) regions during 2017.
- Silver Tournaments – Each State has four (4) Silver Tournaments. NSW has positioned these events in 4 regions namely Sydney, Western, North Coast and Hunter.
- Eligibility for State Junior Team Selections updated.
- Players must compete in 2 Silver Tournaments (Ranking) a minimum one (1) Bronze Tournaments and one Academy Camp in 2017. It is compulsory to compete in the State Age Championships (Gold) if seeking State selection and meet all selection criteria as listed.
Participation in two silver (Gold or Platinum) tournaments gives athletes the opportunity to perform against the best players in their age group (for rankings) at the time with their best four results overall used for State and National rankings.
NOTE 1 The State Junior Selectors will be responsible for ensuring the best available players who meet Selection Criteria, are chosen to represent their state in all age categories.
(See Junior Rankings NSW website for Benefits and Selection Criteria)
NOTE 2: If selected in the NSW State Junior Team a player will be expected to attend the Talent Academy Camps leading up to the Australian Age Championships as listed on the NSW Tournament Calendar.
NOTE 3: Unavailability to attend Compulsory State Championships and Academy Camps.
(Refer to the Selection Criteria for Junior Rankings – Production of a Medical Certificate or School Letter for non-availability) Copy must be forwarded to the Pathways Manager and State Team Coach prior to event.
- Be a financial member of Squash NSW
- Join the Squash NSW Academy Program 2017
- Participate in Squash NSW Academy Camps, minimum two (2) prior to Australian Age Championships.
- Compete in one (1) Bronze and a Minimum of two (2) Silver (Gold or Platinum) Tournaments, prior to State Age Championships
We are committed to providing a quality program. Costs to be part of the NSW Junior Academy is heavily subsidised again in 2017 to make it affordable for all athletes and parents. Help with fund raising activities under the direction of the State Team Manager will be greatly appreciated for Academy members during the year.
It is the responsibility of each athlete to meet the guidelines and performance targets set for your age group. Should you fail to advise your non-attendance or commitment to the program your further participation will be reviewed.
Academy Fees Structure: Payable by Athlete.
State Junior Membership $40 – Complete Membership Form and forward to Squash NSW.
All players to complete a Membership Form There is no fee payable for those members who play in the Sydney Junior Pennant Competition as fees are included in Pennant. Fees will be deducted for all other metro and country Academy members.
What the Academy Camp Provides and Camp Costs include: Court Hire, Academy Coaches and visiting National Talent Coaches, Balls, support services and physical testing equipment.
Athletes will be required to contribute an amount to cover support activities and functions at Academy Camps (ie meals and refreshments or additional activities such as swimming, gym).
Costs will be advised to parents and participants prior to each Academy Camp as circumstances will vary with regional facility, number of participants, number of courts and coaching services. Payment is to accompany the Academy Camp Registration Form.
It is expected that a coach will travel to country regions to deliver programs with the assistance of regional qualified coaches. This will assist reduce the costs faced by families and players in country regions and raise the sport profile in regional centres.
Late Memberships to Academy Development Squads can be made throughout the year provided the player is participating in regional tournaments and a financial member of NSW Squash. To be considered for any representative positions the NSW State Selection Criteria still needs to be met.
Members are required to meet skill and fitness standards, depending on your age. Fitness levels are adjusted according to age. Focus will concentrate on skills development. If you don’t have a coach the NSW Academy can recommend recognised coaches to assist you in being part of the NSW Squash Academy Squad within your own region.
Applications for the Junior NSW Academy close on 3 February 2017. We look forward to seeing you at the first NSW Academy Development Camp on 25-26 February at Thornleigh.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me on 0428751032 for assistance.
Junior State Team Manager
Academy Applications and NSW Memberships should be forwarded to:
Post: Development Or Email: [email protected]
NSW Squash Limited
PO Box 211
Thornleigh NSW 2120